The agency was founded in 1864 by a group of church women of various denominations whose mission was the care of needy Civil War Soldiers, their wives, and their children.
Through the later half of the 1800's and the early 1900's the agency concentrated its efforts on children, through its large orphanage, which served the entire Southern Tier of New York. At the turn of the Century, adoption services became a greater focus of the agency.
In the mid 1920's Foster Care began to slowly replace the orphanage as a means to care for children without parental support, until the large facility was finally closed in the mid 1950's.
In 1940, the organization merged with the Federation of Social Services, which became known for it's public relief giving. Helping troubled people through counseling became recognized by the community.
In the early 1970's Family Services decided to concentrate it efforts on counseling services. So, after having provided Foster Care and Adoption services for well over half a century , these services were turned over to the County and other Human Service organizations.
In 1973, Elmira Child and Family Services merged with Catholic Family Services to become Family Services of Chemung County, Inc.
In 1992, Family Services of Chemung County, Inc, purchased it's current 1019 East Water Street facility, where the Mental Health Clinic, administrative functions, and Home Care programs operate. The facility, ideally located in Elmira, is adjunct to Route 17 with easy access to the Water Street building.
With additional sites at 310 Pennsylvania Avenue, 361 West Water Street, and at 304 Hoffman Street, the organization has a very visible community presence and a solid reputation as a quality service provider in the community.